In the beginning…
CJ WildBird Foods Ltd was founded in 1987 on a farm in rural Shropshire, England, by Chris Whittles, a lifelong ornithologist and wildlife enthusiast.
We began in the early days, researching and selling just a small range of seeds for wild birds, but as awareness grew of the benefits of feeding the garden birds so did we.
Over the years…
CJs have been instrumental in the growth of the bird food market. Thanks to extensive research and a food development programme by our ornithologists the range of wild bird food available has significantly increased over the years. Over 80 common species of wild birds are now being fed in gardens compared to just 18 when we started our research in 1987.
Did you know?
Our research helped establish the importance of year-round feeding for garden birds with the endorsement of the RSPB. We were the first wild bird food company to introduce many of the wild bird seeds we all now take for granted, such as; Black Sunflower Seeds, Sunflower Hearts, Nyjer Seed and Kibbled Sunflower Hearts.
Recognising how important it was for birds to have quick access to calories (particularly during the winter months), CJs developed and introduced high energy foods such as Sunflower Hearts and Peanut Cakes - a new concept in bird feeding!
- We were the first to sell peanuts with nil-detectable aflatoxin. This ensured that peanuts were safe for birds which previously had been at risk from the toxins produced by this killer mold.
- We were the first to introduce "No Mess" foods and ground feeding mixes to the market.
- We developed the innovative 'perching ring' which allows birds to feed from a feeder facing forwards - their natural feeding position.
- We've also used our wildlife expertise to develop specialist wildlife food mixes
- We led the field in researching the beneficial impact of Red Mason Bees on the pollination of fruit crops and plants, and in 2011 were the first to offer Red Mason Bee Cocoons for sale in the UK.
As well as supplying the Irish market, we now operate in 9 other European countries and are proud to be the market leaders in the research, design and development of wild bird and wildlife food, and accompanying feeding products. Our dedicated team are passionate about maintaining our high standards of customer service (as well as caring for wildlife), so we can ensure that you get the very best products and advice.
The CJ Team
Our dedicated staff all share a passion for wildlife. We have a valued customer service team who help with all wildlife enquiries as well as a number of bird enthusiasts (that on occasion have been known to cover the length of the country for a rare sighting!) and product specialists. We are committed to helping native birds and wildlife and are always on hand to offer practical advice to our customers.